Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grandma's Apple Crisp

Apple crisp in our house means it is fall. This favorite has been served in my family for over 60 years. My brother and I would beg our mom to make it all the time...so would everyone else. Enjoy! Note: An apple peeler/corer makes this dessert preparation much easier and faster.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 10-12 apples
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 T cinnamon sugar
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Peel, cut, and core apples. Place in baking dish.
  2. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  3. In separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, eggs, salt, and baking powder.
  4. Cover apples.
  5. Melt 1 stick of butter pour over dry mixture.
  6. Bake 1 hour.
Difficulty: Easy
Time: prep: 30 minutes (if you have a peeler, this will be much faster) baking: 60 minutes
Source: my grandmother

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, this is the same recipe my mother always made too. It must be a Pittsburgh tradition. I made this tonight with apples I froze last fall. We re having it with vanilla ice cream, but I like it with milk on it just s much. I'm happy I was looking through you recipe list and saw it. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-I'm glad you liked it! It is so much better than pie. Mom had it on an old recipe card that said it was grandmother's recipe; it always makes me smile when I make it.

    ReplyDelete