Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Easy Turkey Stromboli

This recipe is amazing, and is a great use of leftover turkey if you have it. I wish I had a nice camera and was good at taking pictures of food (someday, maybe), but if it is any testament, my husband seriously thought I bought this stromboli pre-made.  It looked that good. Trust me, there was nothing to it! (As a side note - I am so happy my kids like spinach. You may want to use a little less if you are just introducing them to it, but the other ingredients make the stromboli so tasty that this might just be the recipe to get them to eat that green stuff!)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb turkey breast tenderloins (I am sure it would be great with chicken, too. Incidentally, I cooked 2 lbs and used the rest in another recipe later in the week when I made this the first time.  Use leftovers from Thanksgiving, if available.)
  • 1 pkg (11 oz) refrigerated thin crust pizza crust (like Pillsbury)
  • 1 cup pasta sauce or pizza sauce
  • 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (I forgot to thaw so I heated in microwave for a couple of minutes and then pressed the water out in a colander)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (Colby & Monterey Jack is great in this, cheddar or mozzarella would be good, too, if that is what you have)
  • 2 tsp grated Parmesan
  • 2 tsp milk

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 400. Boil a cup of water on medium in a large skillet. Cut turkey into strips and add to boiling water. Return to boiling, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and then chop.  **If you are using leftover turkey, you just need to make sure it is chopped.
  2. Unroll crust onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray. Spoon half of the sauce down the center, lengthwise, leaving about 3 inches on either side. Layer spinach, turkey, and cheese over sauce.
  3. Cut 12 strips on both sides of crust. Fold strips over filling, so they overlap. Brush with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan.
  4. Bake for 12 minutes, serve with remaining sauce.

Difficulty: When you see the finished product, it will look like it was hard, but it isn't at all!
Time: 35 minutes (15 prep, 20 cook)
Source: Parents Magazine, April 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment