Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chicken Divan

This recipe was one of my favorites growing up.  On birthdays, my mom always took "special requests" and made us what we wanted for dinner.  Often, this is what I chose for my birthday dinner.  Now, my kids love it, and when I tell them that we are having chicken divan for dinner, they literally cheer!  It is definitely one of my go-to recipes; I am sure to always have the ingredients on hand.  I have even made this on vacation several times!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 10 oz package of frozen broccoli, cooked (I often estimate from a bag and even use a little more than 10 oz instead of buying the boxes)
  • 2-3 cooked chicken breasts, cut up
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (cream of mushroom will give a slightly different taste, but is also delicious if that is all you have on hand)
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1/2 t lemon juice
  • 1/2 t curry powder
  • cheddar cheese (we like sharp the best)

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350. 
  2. Mix soup, mayo, lemon juice, and curry powder. 
  3. Put cooked broccoli in a greased baking dish.  Top with chicken, then sauce.  Cover with cheese.  Bake 25 minutes.  Serve over rice.  (If you use a rice cooker, like I do, start the rice right before you put the casserole in the oven.)
Time management note: I usually boil my chicken for about 15 minutes to cook it while my oven is preheating.  I also throw the broccoli in the microwave to cook at this same time.  While the chicken is boiling away and the broccoli is in the microwave, I mix the sauce.  That way, by the time the oven is preheated, everything else is just about ready to be thrown into the casserole dish.


Difficulty:  Pretty easy, though does require some prep (cooking and cutting chicken, cooking broccoli...see the time management note above)
Time:  Give yourself a total of about 45 minute to an hour.  The last 25 minutes are a breeze, though.
Source: My mom's recipe box

Pin It


1 comment:

  1. Make this often....its great and super easy. I got the recipe from Best of Bridge

    ReplyDelete