Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crispy Oven-Fried Fish

Okay, I will admit it - I have been known to occasionally throw a box of Van De Camp's or Gordon's frozen fish into the grocery cart to have on hand in a pinch.  But whenever I see fresh fish on sale, I grab it and make this yummy and healthy recipe, which actually takes less time to get on the table than the boxed fish.  I first made it years ago for my husband and I (before kids) in an instance when I really had no idea what to do with the fresh tilapia I had just bought.  I pulled out my reliable Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, found this recipe, and was enticed by the "fast" and "low fat" classifications they had given it.  I have been happily making it ever since.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1lb fresh or frozen skinless cod, orange roughy, or catfish fillets, about 1/2 inch thick (I have also made with tilapia)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp dried dillweed
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 2 Tbsp margarine or butter, melted
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Thaw fish, if frozen.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels.  Cut into 4 serving size pieces.  Place milk in shallow dish.  Place flour in another shallow dish.  In a third shallow dish combine breadcrumbs, cheese, dillweed, and pepper.  Toss with melted margarine.
  2. Dip each piece of fish in the milk, then in the flour.  Dip again in the milk, then in the crumb mixture to coat all sides.  Place fish on a greased baking sheet.  Bake, uncovered, for 6 to 9 minutes or till fish flakes easily with a fork.

Difficulty: easy 
Time: 10-15 minutes prep, 6-9 minutes baking
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment